A Humbling Plant
Another day, another lesson…
My skin has been acting up for quite some time now. I figured out the other day that it’s been at least a year since the extreme flare ups began. They became progressively worse in the last 6 months and terribly debilitating in the last 2.
I keep my head up and I work hard, but I’ve really been in a lot of pain lately. Some days, it’s hard to get out of bed because I’ve gotten little to no sleep the night before from scratching. And most days, my skin has a constant stinging sensation, so every position, sitting or standing is uncomfortable. I’ve tried everything… diet changes, including elimination, topical trials, steroids!! Yes, I even tried pharmaceuticals. Every natural remedy you can think of, including various herbs and vitamins, but nothing has worked! And y’all know I tried everything #cannabis related.
Well here’s the kicker. And the reason this image is so powerful… Two days ago, I figured out what’s been causing my extreme dermatitis. You’ll never guess! The irony is too great.
The very Plant that has taken all of my muscular skeletal pain away, given me the ability to walk again, and opened my mind beyond realms imagined, is also the culprit for my recent skin challenges. Yes! Can you believe it? Since I’ve been in such regular contact with the raw plant material and I already suffer from atopic dermatitis (#eczema), I’m more susceptible to irritation from the #trichomes in the cannabis plant. MIND BLOWN!!
It turns out this is a pretty common thing, minor irritation and itchiness after interacting with the raw material. Trimmers can testify to this. But my situation, like everything else in my life, is #exceptional. Go figure!
What I’ve learned…
- When you are suffering, it is only temporary and always seek to free yourself from such suffering
- It pays to have smart friends because it is they who will propel you to think of all the possibilities and help you come to new understandings through your collective knowledge.
- When you give any one thing too much power, it can defeat you. Maintain your own personal strength.
- Journaling matters. By taking a survey of your daily routine and acknowledging the changes along the way, you can more easily pinpoint what catalysts have lead you to where you are now. Makes changing directions a lot easier too.
- Be willing to rethink your social constructs. Everything is impermanent and there are many ways to see one thing. Be humble about all that you “think” you know.
So why this image? Well, this tattoo has always been a reminder for me to be present in the moment. The OM symbol in the center of a lotus speaks volumes to my soul. As a practicing Buddhist, I try to meditate daily, and if I forget and look down, I take a moment right then.
And now… I can barely see my beautifully stained armwork because this damaged skin prevails. But today that ends! It’s been 2 days since my discovery and the double edged sword this dilemma presents only makes me more loyal to my mission to educate others on this miracle plant. I’ve already changed some habits and the itching has significantly decreased. Give thanks! Now it’s time for me to delve further into this segment of my work. I want to gain greater understanding of the effects of trichomes on the skin and I definitely want to be able to benefit from topical cannabis so I have to find a way while continuing to teach.The journey never ends. And self treatment with cannabis is an ever evolving process.
I am committed to achieving healthy skin again. I believe it will heal quickly. Now that I’m empowered with this new knowledge. And when it does, I’ll check back in with my armwork. Might be time to add some color and details.
Tattoo artists. Hit me up!